07 November 2007

That's Not What She Said, Origins

I suppose it’s good to start with a statement of purpose and all, as much as I have one, or at least a list of biases. I’ve started this blog because I was cluttering up the comments page at Northern Attack, where I share recapping duties for the NBC television show The Office, with long posts containing strike news. I decided, given the plethora of free web hosting space out there, that it might be wiser just to start my own blog, and let James, webmaster of Northern Attack, do his his own way.

So, what’s my purpose, and what are my biases? My purpose is simple: To collect news about the strike of the Writers Guild of America, which is threatening to shut down scripted television and affect the entire economic structure of the largest state in the Union. There will be some analysis of said news, but keep in mind that I am neither a lawyer nor a union expert, and what you’re getting from me is simply the brain vomit of a clever kid who watches television and onceago got good grades and stuff. You’re not getting anything insider from me, as I am not an insider.

My biases. I am a writer, but not a screenwriter, and I belong to no unions or guilds. I am reflexively in sympathy with the goals of the guild -- there’ll be a quick blurb on that in a post later today -- but only in this instance. In a broader sense, my feelings on unions are mixed. Call them a necessary evil, and yet another institution that could use reform. But that’s straying closer to politics than I want to go.

A warning for readers: There will be the occasional curse word on this blog. I’m operating on the assumption that we’re all grownups here, and nobody’s sensibilities are going to be wounded too badly if I call a spade a spade -- or rather, a piece of shit a piece of shit. Don’t worry, we’re not going to be having a Pulp Fiction-style F-word orgy, there won’t be descriptions of explicit sex acts or graphic violence. If you can handle late night cable television, you can handle That’s Not What She Said.

Much love,

Linus.

2 comments:

K said...

A+ idea.

K said...

(This is your co-recapper, by the way.)